Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sit deep and relax!


I went to the house we are buying yesterday. Had to sit there for a few hours while the home inspection was going on. The house has a lot of details of the house I grew up in. Built around the same time. So as I sat, my mind wandered back in time. Some of my thoughts went back to my grandfather and his love of horses, even prior to my birth. When I came along he was already in poor health but still had horses and always barked out "suggestions" as I rode. He was a short firey cigar smoking Italian who spoke his mind and loved good horses, and in his day could ride the difficult ones. There is a story about him and a horse named Gray Bill... no one could ride Bill but Granddaddy. When I got old enough and looked at the photo I thought no wonder! There is enough metal in that horse's mouth to stop a freight train! Never said Granddaddy was a fool! I love the photo above of he and Bill, I don't have that confidence anymore, I have lost it with age and some recent poor choices in horses, but hope to get it back once I get settled in the new house and start riding again. Granddaddy rode deep in the saddle and relaxed, a good approach to life in general!

4 comments:

  1. My husband had a horse named Bill! Your confidence will return in the spring once you are all settled in and able to tend to your horses... and mule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture. My Cdub used to have a palomino. He was just taking about it yesterday.
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great photo. Your grandfather sounds like a wonderful character.

    And don't worry, you'll regain your confidence. It's like riding a bicycle, except there's a little more effort into getting on and off and not as much control. Oh, and a lot more distance between the seat and the ground. OK, maybe it's more like riding a motorcycle.

    But otherwise, it's all the same. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the inspection went well!

    I'd love to hear more about your grandfather! It's wonderful that you knew him, even if he was past his prime. Grandparents are a treasure:)

    ReplyDelete